By Jason Snaddon
“If you can dream it, you can do it,” said Walt Disney. I live by his quote. He put such a complex idea so aptly. When you think about it, as kids, we dream freely and believe in ourselves to achieve anything. However, as we grow older, the realities of life hit us, and we start to chicken out. Of course, dreams are tough to achieve. The challenges, setbacks, and hurdles can be too much to handle. You might feel like quitting on several occasions. However, not giving up on your dreams is a huge commitment. It is the most valid test of one’s grit and character. Fighting for your dreams is a very personal thing, and there is no fit-all solution available.
Here are three effective ways to help you remain focused on your dreams, regardless of any obstacles.
1. Say Daily Affirmations
A few years ago, I wrote my one ultimate dream, framed it, and put it on a wall in my home office nook. Now, every morning when I sit at my desk to work, I take a moment to read it aloud. This ritual fills me with so much joy, positivity, motivation, and confidence. I start my day with new vigor and stamina to win and conquer the world.
You can do the same.
As scientifically proven, daily affirmations help give you a positive attitude. And we know a positive attitude is the number one ingredient for a successful life. So, write down your dream and start your day by reading it aloud. Believe me, saying this affirmation will put everything in perspective and give you a reason to work harder.
2. Make Peace with Setbacks
Setbacks are a reality of life. You can contemplate all you want but certain failures are unavoidable. So, accepting the facts and moving on is the best approach.
I have seen people completely thrown off by one setback in their journey towards their dreams. They forget all about their accomplishments and almost micro-focus on one failure. Ask anyone who has reached their fullest potential in life, and they will have a tale about multiple setbacks and failures along their journey. The secret to their achievement lies in overcoming those significant hurdles.
You must keep in mind that no setback or failure is conclusive. Only death is the final signal to give up on your dreams. Everything else can be overcome with persistent effort.
When you make peace with your failures, you automatically gain the power and courage to realize your dreams. You are not afraid to fail anymore, and you have forgiven yourself for past mistakes.
3. Take Action Every Day
Taking action every day towards fulfilling your dream helps you to succeed. The actions don’t have to be huge. You can take simple steps at your own pace. For instance,
- You dream of being an actor: Research audition opportunities every day and sign-up for some.
- You dream of writing a novel: Write every day to improve your craft and make progress with your story
- You dream of having a successful blog: Publish content each day on your blog, social media, and/or other outlets.
- You dream of owning a particular car: Work at a side hustle to raise the money.
- You dream of completing your degree: Take online courses or go back to school at night.
- You dream of becoming a successful athlete: Train hard every day.
Action makes all the difference. You need to work, go through the grind, and repeat until you achieve what you want. People who dared enough to dream and achieve their dreams also followed a similar pattern. Here are some examples:
- J.K. Rowling: She was a single mom living on welfare but didn’t give up on her dream of becoming an author. Now, the entire world knows about the Harry Potter books.
- Harrison Ford: He was a carpenter until 30. Now, we know him as an ace actor and producer.
- Ang Lee: He was jobless and broke. However, he went on to direct “Life of Pi,” a movie that won all major Hollywood awards, including Oscars.
It’s not about famous people only. We see such examples all the time, where people with unfavorable circumstances came out as winners in life due to their perseverance and determination.
Realizing your dreams is not easy. You have to work towards them each day with a newborn passion. If you can persist, no dream is big enough for you.
On the other hand, giving up on your dreams is easy, but you might be signing up for a lifetime of regret. Stay positive and never give up. Good Luck!
Jason Snaddon works with people to create the life of abundance that is within us all. Since 2005, he has been consciously creating an abundant life and loves to share his learnings to help people create the life of their dreams. Visit Jason’s website, The Abundance Activator, for more information.
Leave a Reply