“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies,” said Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) in a letter to his friend Red (Morgan Freeman) in the uplifting movie The Shawshank Redemption. He was talking about how hope keeps us going in the most difficult of times, carrying us through the storms of life in the anticipation of better, brighter days. Hope strengthens us and expands our capacity to believe and have faith in our dreams and what is possible for us.
Here are 20 hope quotes to life your spirits in times when you need it most and when you feel compelled to live in a new way, a way that gives you greater purpose and meaning.
1. “Once you choose hope, anything is possible!” ~Christopher Reeves
2. “We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.” ~Martin Luther King
3. “If it were not for hopes, the heart would break.” ~Thomas Fuller
4. “We live by hope. We do not always get all we want when we want it. But we have to believe that someday, somehow, some way, it will be better and that we can make it so.” ~Hubert H. Humphrey
5. “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don’t give up.” ~Anne Lamott
6. “Never talk defeat. Use words like hope, belief, faith, victory.” ~Norman Vincent Peale
7. “Practice hope. As hopefulness becomes a habit, you can achieve a permanently happy spirit.” ~Norman Vincent Peale
8. “Hope is the thing with feathers– That perches in the soul– And sings the tune without the words– And never stops– at all” ~Emily Dickenson
9. “Never deprive someone of hope; it may be all they have.” ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
10. “Hope, deceitful as it is, serves at least to lead us to the end of our lives by an agreeable route.” ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
11. “Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.” ~Robert Ingersoll
12. “The natural flights of the human mind are not from pleasure to pleasure but from hope to hope.” ~Samuel Johnson
13. “What oxygen is to the lungs, such is hope to the meaning of life.” ~Emil Brunner
14. “Consult not your fears but your hopes and dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do.” ~Pope John XXIII
15. “Hope is the most exciting thing in life and if you honestly believe that love is out there, it will come. And even if it doesn’t come straight away there is still that chance all through your life that it will.” ~Josh Hartnett
16. “Hope means hoping when things are hopeless, or it is no virtue at all… As long as matters are really hopeful, hope is mere flattery or platitude; it is only when everything is hopeless that hope begins to be a strength.” ~G.K. Chesterton
17. “Those who know how close the connection is between the state of mind of a man – his courage and hope, or lack of them – and the state of immunity of his body will understand that the sudden loss of hope and courage can have a deadly effect.” ~Viktor Frankl
18. “Whether you’ve seen angels floating around your bedroom or just found a ray of hope at a lonely moment, choosing to believe that something unseen is caring for you can be a life-shifting exercise.” ~Martha Beck
19. “There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow.” ~Orison Swett Marden
20. “Hope is a waking dream.” ~Aristotle
What is your favorite hope quote above and how does it resonate with you?