Change can be welcoming, but when it’s unwanted, it can be tough to accept. Most of us have experienced unwanted change like an unexpected breakup, a job loss, or a serious diagnosis. A major life disruption like this can make it impossible to be positive, let alone hopeful. But so often, the change catapulted us to a better place or a new perspective on life. Founder of First30Days.com and chief change optimist Ariane de Bonvoisin calls this good coming from a change the “change guarantee.” She says something good may not come right away, but eventually, it will.
“I’ve interviewed people who have lost a loved one, people with cancer, people who have lost most of their money in the market, and I’ve never had anyone say that it was the worst thing that’s ever happened to them. They could always say a positive came out of this,” Ariane says. “In general, the people who are good with change do not think life is against them or how unlucky they are. They think that life is taking care of them and conspiring for good, and something beneficial will happen.”
So amid change, there is always room for hope. Hope that from this change, we’ll see new opportunities and possibilities ahead. Hope that this change is for our highest good. Hope for a better tomorrow. Here are 17 quotes on change to help you through tough times.
1. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” ~Socrates
2. “The changes we dread most may contain our salvation.” ~Barbara Kingsolver
3. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” ~Alan Watts
4. “All great changes are preceded by chaos.” ~Deepak Chopra
5. “We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea.” ~C. JoyBell C.
6. “If you do not change direction, you might end up where you are heading.” ~Lao Tzu
7. “There is certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in traveling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one’s position, and be bruised in a new place.” ~Washington Irving
8. “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” ~John C. Maxwell
9. “We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are.” ~Max Depree
10. “The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” ~Albert Einstein
11. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~Charles Darwin
12. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” ~Helen Keller
13. “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past and present are certain to miss the future.” ~John F. Kennedy
14. “Some people don’t like change, but you need to embrace change if the alternative is disaster.” ~Elon Musk
15. “We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance.” ~Harrison Ford
16. “Resolve to be a master of change rather than a victim of change.” ~Brian Tracy
17. “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.” ~Winston Churchill
What’s your favorite quote on change? Let us know in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!