We are busy people. The daily pressures of work, children, finances and chores can be overwhelming, leaving us anxious, frustrated and even depressed. To soothe our negative feelings, we may turn to shopping, drinking too much, have bouts of anger or take on any other bad habit. Can we possibly find peace in life’s chaos? We can and it starts by first recognizing how stressed we really are and the affect it’s having on our mental and physical well-being. Then, with this awareness, we can find ways to bring more calm into our lives. Some simple ways include meditating, listening to music, getting a massage, enjoying a cup of hot tea or coffee, watching a sunset, taking a walk. Any activity that makes us happy and feel more relaxed helps bring peace in the moment. But what about creating lasting peace —the kind that gives us a sense of wellness and renewal.
Lasting inner peace comes from within. It comes by changing our thoughts through mental and spiritual practices such as cultivating gratitude or creating and saying affirmations. More ways include practicing forgiveness and looking for ways to be kinder in life, which can help turn the attention away from our worries to focusing on others. A calmer, renewed spirit will naturally start to emerge as we commit to these potentially life-changing practices. Here are 12 quotes to help kick-start your journey to finding greater inner peace:
1. “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” ~Wayne W. Dyer
2. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” ~Dalai Lama
3. “Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.” ~Mahatma Gandhi
4. “Inner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions.” ~Gerald G. Jampolsky
5. “Having lots of money while not having inner peace is like dying of thirst while bathing in the ocean.” ~Paramahansa Yogananda
6. “If there is to be peace in the world, there must be peace in the nations. If there is to be peace in the nations, there must be peace in the cities. If there is to be peace in the cities, there must be peace between neighbors. If there is to be peace between neighbors, there must be peace in the home. If there is to be peace in the home, there must be peace in the heart.” ~Lao Tzu
7. “You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.” ~Eckhart Tolle
8. “The greatest misfortune that can come to a human being is to lose his inner peace. No outer force can rob him of it. It is his own thoughts, his own actions that rob him of it.” ~Sir Chinmoy
9. “Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” ~Pema Chodron
10. “We cannot give what we do not have: We cannot bring peace to the world if we ourselves are not peaceful. We cannot bring love to the world if we ourselves are not loving. Our true gift to ourselves and others lies not in what we have but in who we are.” ~Marianne Williamson
11. “Choose your thoughts carefully. Keep what brings you peace, release what brings you suffering, and know that happiness is just a thought away.” ~Nishan Panwar
12. “Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.” ~St. Francis de Sales
Have a favorite quote above? Let us know. We’d love to hear from you!